So, I cut the cardi. Using Elinor's tutorial to hold my hand, I machine stitched down the centre of the columns of stitches on either side of the centre column where the cut is to be made. Ok, not so hard, like Elinor says, it OUGHT to be harder. Surprisingly, the floats did not get stuck in the feed dog, causing a hot mess of yarn to entangle beneath the working plate of my Pfaff; I managed not to accidentally stitch the front to the back; everything was actually working! Feeling some kind of thrill begin to rise up, I took my dainty stork scissors and proceeded to cut up to the top (the point at the top in the photo above is the beginning of the hood).
The edges rolled inwards; it was now officially a cardigan!
I picked up and knit one row of the stitches on either side of the charted pattern and then worked an i-cord bind off which produced a nice clean edge that I hope will lend itself well to a zipper closure (haven't sewn that in yet).
What the folded-over facing looks like - a bit scrappy but I'll finish the raw edge with a blanket stitch. At least I don't have to worry about those hundreds of yarn bits unravelling though, the machine stitches are short and doing their job wonderfully. So, weaving in ends, grafting underarms and zipper installation to go - whoopee!!